"We Need To Talk" - Workshop
During the “We Need To Talk” workshop, we’ll work with your group to identify some of the things that stop people from communicating with each other. Furthermore, we’ll engage in simple activities that will challenge your group to look deeper than “first impressions” or “what they’ve heard about someone” and focus on who a person really is. Our hope is that your group will leave having learned new communication techniques and become more aware of their impact on others both in person and on Social Media. Above all, we hope that connections are made and friendships started or strengthened.
- Intro to what “Courage Collective” is
- Discussion about what it means to have the Courage to open up
- Facilitators share examples of a time they had the Courage to open up
- Question Period #1 (1-on-1 conversations. Switch partners at the end)
- Group Share: Tell us about a time you found Courage to do something
- Question Period #2 (1-on-1 conversations. Switch partners at the end)
- Outside Distractions: things that prevent us from communicating
- Question Period #3 (1-on-1 conversations. Switch partners at the end)
- Inside Distractions: things that prevent us from communicating
- Question Period #4 (1-on-1 conversations)
- Discussion about Social Media vs. Real Life
- FINAL CHALLENGE: Find 5 things in common with your partner
Together we will...
- Meet new people in simple, scaffolded, short conversations.
- Develop safe opportunity to create on-going inclusive, welcoming community.
- Identify barriers to effective communication and strategies to overcome them.
- Move towards equity in all interactions and break down social prejudices.
The cost for the “We Need To Talk” workshop is $200 or an honorarium for an amount that best fits your programs budget.
- 2 rows of chairs that are facing each other (See diagram below)
- Projector and screen for Powerpoint
- Microphones and PA system as needed